Saturday, May 7, 2011

Failure...

I love to try new recipes. Something different, new, or even sometimes strange. Most of the time the recipes I try are added to our normal rotation and we plan to make them again.

Not this last one.

I made potato pancakes. Sort of...

I have always wanted to try them, the sound so yummy.

I found a recipe in a magazine that looked like just what I was wanting. Mix two cups of mashed potatoes with an egg, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, parsley, and salt and pepper. Nothing about those ingredients sounded off. And they really tasted pretty good.

The problem came in the frying. The directions said to heat oil at medium heat and then drop the potatoes by 1/4 cup globs into the oil, press flat and cook for 3 minutes on each side. That's were it all went wrong.

You see...potatoes do not like to be pressed...they stick to the spatula or whatever you try to use to press them flat. Resulting in the flattened part splashing into the oil, spraying it all over...including on me.

The second problem...these did not like to be flipped. They fell apart so that basically I had a mess of random pieces of mashed potato laying in a skillet.

The end result would definitely had not won a presentation contest. The taste of the potatoes was good, but the mess, pain from hot oil, and frustration was not worth the taste.

Next time I think I'll just make "cheesy mashed potatoes" with the same ingredients and call it good!

No comments:

Post a Comment