Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Crock Pot Timer

Tonight I tried a new recipe. Actually I should say today...

I found a recipe for jambalaya on the internet and thought it would be a yummy recipe to try. I love the Zataran's brand of the rice where you add the meat and it makes a tasty dish, but I have wanted to try an actual recipe that didn't come from a box. Throughout my searching, I found one online that is cooked in the crock pot. Just what I need.

I got up early this morning to chop the veggies, open the cans, and slice the meat that all goes in the slow cooker. I put everything in and was anxiously waiting for dinner tonight. The problem...dinner was 12 hours away and I wouldn't be home for at least 11. No problem, I thought...at least I know my chicken will get done.

Ha...the chicken was done alright. The jambalaya had excellent flavor! The spices were just right and it worked perfectly with the white rice. The problem. The meat was way over cooked. The chicken was dry and the sausage was mushy. It would have been the perfect new meal if I would have been home about 7 hours earlier to shut off the crock pot.

I have decided that I want a crock pot with a timer. That way I can set it to cook for as long as I need it to and then automatically it will turn to warm. I will try this recipe again, although next time I will make sure it is a day that I will be around to monitor the cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment